The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Fraser DECA is making its mark, Here is what you should know!

Fraser DECA started in 2019 and has been on the rise ever since, even through COVID. DECA is a club for students who are interested in business or looking for a great way to build their communication skills. There are many different competitions to choose from when deciding on an event to compete in, allowing for many interests to be showcased regionally, state-wide, and even internationally.

Regionals took place at Lake Orion High School on December 16th. This year, Fraser DECA had 29 members compete at the regional level, having 21 members advance to the state competition. Students competing in areas such as hospitality, marketing, tourism, merchandising, and finance.

“We received a total of 44 medals in total with 21 students moving on to states,” DECA Secretary Aneko Nichol said.

Going more in-depth, here is a chart showcasing the different competition areas of DECA: 

The state competition will be taking place in Detroit, Michigan from March 14th to March 16th. 

“Now, we’re gearing up to take on states, providing our students with an opportunity to showcase their skills. incredibly proud of our dedicated members,” Vice President Iman Moses said.

Fraser DECA enjoys keeping the fun in hard work and learning. Making DECA states an experience for all of the students to remember. 

The DECA state competition starts by traveling to Detroit to stay at The Indigo Hotel located in walking distance from The Huntington Place, Campus Martius, and a variety of restaurants. You start your Thursday by going to The Huntington Place to attend a meeting for your event giving you crucial details about your competition. After all the meetings, Fraser DECA will explore Detroit and go out to eat for the night!

When Friday comes around it is time for you to compete! You will have a designated call-time for your event and compete in two different role-plays. After your role-plays you will have time to explore and go out with the rest of the students after all the role-plays are complete. 

On Saturday the awards ceremony will take place in the morning, this is where you find out if you received any medals or are advancing to the international level!

This year, internationals will be taking place in Anaheim, California! Fraser DECA is working extremely hard to help students advance. 

Fraser DECA provided its competitors with a variety of resources to succeed. Students have access to DECA plus, which has practice tests, flash cards, and practice role-plays. Students are also encouraged to schedule role-plays with their advisors to receive feedback. 

The e-board makes sure to communicate any news to the group with a variety of meetings and frequent emails. Fraser DECA’s social media has also grown significantly over the past few months. 

“In terms of social media, I’ve been trying to increase Fraser DECA’s engagement and presence within the DECA community, specifically on Instagram. Besides that, I’ve been following a cohesive theme in terms of color schemes and fonts to ensure our page can stand out. It’s all about curating the best content possible to showcase Fraser DECA’s success,” DECA Publicist Sean Cartmel said.

Fraser DECA does not only prepare students for their future, but they also help the community. They are currently hosting an underwear drive to help people in need. They also plan to volunteer at a local soup kitchen as a group.

“At DECA we pride ourselves on preparing future leaders to go out into the world and be able to have skills and knowledge that will help them for years to come, and I’m glad to see we’re still keeping that precedent going,” DECA President Analu Jahi said.