The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Fraser High School Band Triumphs at Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade

The Fraser High School Band walking in The Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade.

In the heart of Detroit, amidst vibrant floats and cheering crowds, the Fraser High School band stole the spotlight at this year’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Leah Woods, a dedicated band member, enjoyed her journey, and the challenges and triumphs that led them to win the Battle of the Bands competition.

“Being a part of the Thanksgiving Day Parade reflects who we are as a school,” Leah said.

The Fraser High School band, undeterred by the chilly weather, played the Fraser Fight Song and “Go Blue”, sharing their school spirit with spectators lining the street.

Yostena Akladyous, one of the FHS drum majors, shared insights into the band’s preparation and the impact of their victory on the school’s reputation. 

“As a whole, the band meets once a week to march around the track as well as practice the music during class,” Akladyous said.

The dedication and discipline required for an impressive performance was shared by the entire band.

Leah revealed the rigorous preparation required for the winning performance, including marching rehearsals around the stadium track covering over a mile each practice session. On parade day, their endurance was put to the test as they marched for over three miles through the streets of Detroit.

“The temperature was definitely harsh. We were very cold and had to dress in layers. We also had to wake up really early on a holiday,” Leah said, highlighting the challenges faced by the band.

Yostena Akladyous was very proud of the band,

“This accomplishment will positively impact the Fraser morale, continuing our winning streak from the past 23 years achieving straight 1’s. I believe this will further the confidence behind the marching band in the future,” Yostena said.

Looking back on the victory, Leah believes the impact on the school’s reputation and morale, 

“There was certainly a sense of pride when we first received the news that we won, but our band is very accomplished, so we had faith that we would win,” Leah said.

Leah’s favorite moment added a touch of humor,

“Not that it contributes to our success, but I do remember when a lady came by my bandmate Willow and started partying and recording with her. That was definitely a stand-out moment for me,” Leah said.

Yostena believes that the challenges faced during the parade and in preparation were,

“Keeping up morale through the cold. In the past, Fraser’s Marching Band has marched this parade through snow and rain,” Yostena said.

The adverse weather conditions emphasized the resilience and determination required to maintain a high level of performance.

Akladyous emphasized the band’s cadences, 

“I believe some of our strongest attributes are our cadences. Fraser is known for our strong drumline that works hard to continue to play the entire parade. Without the cadences, the rest of the band wouldn’t have time to take a breath and get ready for their next song,” Akladyous said.

The strategic elements of their performance underlines the collaborative effort and coordination within the band.

Fraser High School band’s triumph at the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade was more than a musical victory; it was a manifestation of school spirit, dedication, and resilience.