The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Fraser HOSA, What it is all About.

Fraser HOSA is a medical-focused club that is very known at Fraser High School. It allows students to learn more about careers in the medical field, as well as create knowledge on basic medical practices. The club also allows students to compete in competitions and showcase their knowledge. 

The club, based out of the CTE program at Fraser High School, which is also very notable for its achievements and outputs of success. Students who participate in HOSA are usually students who have participated in the medical classes offered by Fraser HIgh School. These classes do a great job preparing students for their post-graduation goals.

Fraser HOSA has monthly meetings to go over club business and also provides other meetings to work towards other clubs goals. These other club goals are largely volunteer driven, such as making blankets and Valentines for Vets. The club not only allows students to build medical knowledge, but also a strong moral compass with their priority of volunteering.

Guest speakers and demonstrations are also a strong part of the club. Allowing students to develop an idea as to what career they are looking to go into. 

Club Advisor Marti Van-I states, “if you are interested in health care, learning more about the healthcare field, gaining skills, knowledge, leadership skills, self-confidence, and the satisfaction of helping others through community service….then HOSA-Future Health Professionals is the student organization for you”

With the continuous guidance in the medical field, students are given the option to compete with their knowledge. Though this is not necessary, a good amount of students are motivated to do so. The competition starts at the district competition, which the last two years, Fraser High School has hosted. 

HOSA Member and Fraser High School Student, Aneko Nichol states, “I have been able to develop skills in a career I want to pursue by competing. It also motivated me to learn new skills outside of the classroom, by pursuing programs held at colleges to further my education on the topic”.

Students who advance from districts will move on to States, which is hosted at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa in Traverse City, MI. This competition is a test of medical knowledge, but also drives you to have fun while doing it. The state competition includes activities like informational sessions all the way to a dance party. 

Those students who proved their knowledge at states will then move onto Internationals. The International Conference will be taking place in Houston, TX for the year of 2024. The International Conference again provides students the ability to test their knowledge and their ability to have fun! International awards are given in multiple areas.

Given that information, why should you join HOSA?

Van-I states, “My FAVORITE thing about HOSA is watching students gain self-confidence through all of our activities – from community service to competitive events”

Club Advisor Suzanne Garman also states, “When I think of HOSA I think of education, collaboration and experience. These are mentioned as part of the HOSA Mission Statement and I think  they truly represent the organizations”

This club is dedicated to the success of its students. Building them to become great leaders and allow them to develop the skills to achieve great things. 

HOSA President Piper Morrison states, “HOSA because this is made for the future health professionals, this club is more than just competition. It has grown to become a family, with the community service that we do I come out feeling better about myself after working with all these future health professionals”

HOSA is a club for all students to join and not just for students gaining careers in the medical field. It is great for students to gain knowledge in this topic whether becoming a doctor or a lawyer. 

If you are interested in joining, please reach out to the club advisors:

Ms. Van-I @ [email protected]

Ms. Garman @ [email protected]