The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Behind the Scenes: Student Council’s Night of Decorating

The Unsung Heroes of Homecoming Prep
Senior’s that helped during the Lock-In

As the clock struck midnight on September 22nd, Fraser High School’s annual homecoming festivities roared to life with Student Council’s highly anticipated Lock-In event, starting the beginning of a cherished tradition. This tradition marks a significant moment for both the outgoing and incoming student leaders, as well as the entire student body. 

Kaleigh Nordstrom, the Student Council President, played a pivotal role in orchestrating this year’s homecoming celebrations. According to Nordstrom, preparing for homecoming in her role as a president was a mix of excitement and busyness. She emphasized the importance of working closely with her peers and fellow council members to ensure that the event catered to the desires of the student body. Nordstrom’s focus on giving the student body a voice in the planning process demonstrates her commitment to inclusivity and transparency.

Furthermore, Nordstrom’s interview reveals a sense of nostalgia and sadness as she realizes that this would be her last Lock-In event. She candidly expressed, “Yes, I was very sad going into the Lock-In and even this homecoming week because I know that this is the last time I will ever be doing any of this.” These heartfelt words from Nordstrom accentuate the depth of her emotional connection to the event and highlights the profound impact that Student Council has had on her high school experience. Her energy and enthusiasm, despite long days and nights of planning, reflect her dedication to making this year’s homecoming a memorable one. 

One of Nordstrom’s most noteworthy goals as Student Council President is to empower the student body by involving them in the decision-making process. This year, she introduced the idea of students voting on theme days for spirit week, fostering greater participation and engagement. Additionally, her initiative to involve the community by organizing food trucks for a pre-game before the parade demonstrates her commitment to uniting the school’s wider community and spreading the joy of homecoming. 

Kaitlin King, a class sponsor, offered a different perspective on the homecoming preparations, focusing specifically on the freshmen students. Her experience with her first Lock-In involved managing and guiding the freshmen class in creating hallway decorations. King commended the freshmen for their enthusiasm and proactive approach, emphasizing that they took the initiative and displayed creativity in their work. 

King’s close friendship with her co-sponsor, Mrs. Dodd, adds a personal touch to the story. Their collaborative efforts not only contribute to a successful homecoming but also exemplify the bonds and camaraderie that can develop among educators and colleagues outside of the classroom. As King shared,”I’ve coached in the past, and I wasn’t interested in going back to the everyday grind of practices & games, so this was a fantastic alternative.”

In addition to these insights, I had the opportunity to speak with Megan Schaeff, The Student Council Advisor, who shed light on the behind-the-scenes efforts that go into making the Homecoming Lock-In a success. She described the Lock-In as a significant night for Student Council, during which they decorate the hallways to prepare for Homecoming Week. She described Monday as one of the highlights of the year, “I love the excitement as everyone walks into the decorated building.”

Having been a part of Student Council throughout her high school years as Center Line High School and later as a Class Sponsor at Fraser High School, Schaeff’s dedication to the program is evident. She has now been a Student Council Advisor for seven years, working alongside Mrs. Smith. Scheaff expressed her gratitude for the opportunity to help the program and its leaders grow, highlighting the rewarding aspect of her role. 

Fraser High School’s Homecoming Lock-In event is a testament to the commitment and dedication of its students, educators, and advisors. It showcases the spirit of unity and community that defines the school, leaving a lasting mark on the memories of those who participate in this cherished tradition.