He Came and Without Seeing, He Conquered

Laurel Kraus, Co-Editor

Do you have the Bernstein advantage? It’s likely that everyone has seen this slogan flash across his/her TV screen many times over the years. The Bernstein family has certainly made quite a name for themselves in Michigan law, but has anyone ever really paid any attention to the interesting individuals that made up this firm?

Take Richard Bernstein, a visually impaired lawyer who has now been voted Michigan’s newest Supreme Court Justice, for example. The phrase “Even in your worst of times, someone always has it harder than you” comes to mind when this amazing man is brought into the picture. He has had to fight battle after battle to get everywhere he has been in life, yet somehow, through it all he has gained an absolutely refreshing outlook.

“Our lives are defined by the experiences that we have, and if life wasn’t this hard then I wouldn’t have this sense of purpose and mission. Sometimes the more challenges you experience, the more of a life you get to live,” Bernstein explained. “You simply have to believe that you were created for a reason, that you were sent here for a mission greater than oneself.”

Bernstein certainly has faced challenges. Imagine going through high school blind. Many of us already have a hard enough time trying to keep our heads above water with exams, stress, and social situations, but what if, on top of all of that, we couldn’t see. What if it wasn’t possible for us to have any independence whatsoever? To most teens nowadays, this probably sounds something like a death sentence, but Bernstein put it in a whole new perspective.

“Middle School and High School were a difficult time for me, but my biggest problem was actually that I felt like I didn’t fit in, I had a hard time finding my place. Then I realized that every other student was going through the exact same challenges,” Bernstein reminisced. “It’s important to remember that the way you are in high school is in no way going to reflect how you are upon graduation. I can make everyone a promise: You have no idea how much better it gets.”

After surviving high school, Bernstein decided to follow in his family’s footsteps and tackle law school. Obviously, this was a tremendous challenge for him. There is no special treatment for the visually impaired in law school, one simply has to make the cut just like everyone else. For Bernstein this meant hours upon hours of mentally exhausting work every single day just to keep up. 15 to 30 page case studies were read to him over and over until he could recite them word for word and felt prepared to argue them. This must have taken an immense amount of determination and willpower, but Bernstein accepts little of the credit for himself.

“I made a promise to God when I was in law school that if he helped me pass the bar exam, I would use my degree for those who don’t have a voice. It would not be in vain, but for a higher calling and purpose,” Bernstein explained.

His latest step in fulfilling this promise was to run for Michigan Supreme Court Justice. Although he had to leave his family’s law firm, when Bernstein was accepted into office he was adamant on doing it strictly for the people of this great state. He understands the importance of being voted in during such a risky time for this state, as we are just beginning to get our feet back under us from the economic recession, and is determined to do his absolute best.

“When people vote they are giving you their trust, so you must honor it. There is no greater gift, opportunity, and most greatly, no greater responsibility,” Bernstein expressed.

Beyond just his educational and career success, Bernstein has plenty of other interesting achievements locked away in his vault of stories; some of which would seem pretty extraordinary even for a person with 20/20 vision. For instance, a not so well known fact is that Bernstein has 18 marathons and an Iron Man Competition under his belt. It is no small feat to run in the pitch black, yet after years of training and through immense trust in his guide, Bernstein was able to show the world that there really are no limits.

“Athletics represent the whole idea of life,” Bernstein claimed. “Don’t bite off more than you can chew, just take it day by day and over time you will work your way up to where you need to be.”

Unfortunately, in August of 2012, life threw Bernstein a curveball. He had recently memorized Central Park’s 6.2 mile loop so he would be able to walk it on an independent bases which was exactly what he was doing when a cyclist traveling 35+ mph lost control, veered into the pedestrian lane, and struck him directly in the back. The impact landed him in the hospital with a broken pelvis, fractured hip, and a few missing teeth. This resulted in a ten week stay during which Bernstein essentially had to learn how to walk by himself again. It was obviously not an easy time for Bernstein, yet once again he managed to find good in his situation.

“I believe that you come to a time when there’s a real pain within you and a real struggle you have to face and that is when you make your peace ultimately with our creator,” Bernstein passionately recited.

It is no secret that Bernstein has faced more than his fair share of adversities, but through them he has gained something truly great. Something that we are all reaching for whether we realize it or not. He has gained awareness; of self, of spirit, and even of life.

“See your life as a novel, a great book,” Bernstein advised. “Within any book there exist chapters of hardship, difficulty, setback, and pain, because it is through these chapters that you come to realize and recognize joy, hope, optimism, and resilience. It is through these chapters that we come to know our finest hours.”

Justice Bernstein Interviewed by the Fraser Broadcast Team