Views on Butcher

Angel Bacol, Flash Reporter

Within Fraser High School, there are students who spend half of their school day at Fraser, and the remainder at the Macomb Mathematics Science Technology Center (MMSTC). Well-known as Butcher, these students have 3 classes – math, science, and interdisciplinary studies – over at Butcher with the rest of their classes at Fraser.

Butcher’s mission statement on their website is “to assure that all students are engaged in challenging, accelerated learning activities.”

There are several differences between the courses at Fraser and Butcher.

At Butcher, students learn Pre-Calculus with Discrete Mathematics; Interdisciplinary Studies III; and Physics I during their junior year. At Fraser High School, a junior can choose different courses as their math and science classes – from basic to accelerated to advanced placement. When shown on paper, it would seem that one school is better than the other, but in reality, it is all based on how the students are taught.

“It’s a lot harder than you think, I mean, at Butcher we go more in depth about what we’re learning, and we go at a fast pace,” junior Butcher student, Bridgette Wolf said.

Everyone struggles in their classes, and they all react differently to what they are learning. It doesn’t matter if the course is considered basic or accelerated, students will always be pushed forward at Fraser. When asked on how hard their math and science classes are pushing them, Fraser students replied with:

“No. It’s not entirely hard. It’s just remembering old stuff,” said Savanna Justice, a junior taking Accelerated Algebra 2 and Accelerated Physics.

For students at Fraser, they don’t have to have all their classes to be basic or accelerated. There are some classes in which they are phenomenal, but in others, they would need help.

“Math poses as a great challenge for me. It’s pushing me a lot,” said Makayla Bondy, a junior taking Accelerated Intro to Calculus and Physics.

It’s crystal clear that it is based on what is being discussed in class that shows the difference. Although, students learn at their own pace and level, not everyone can learn a topic in only a couple class days.

“I’d learn from Fraser, I feel like Butcher goes in a little too deep for my personal reference,” Justice said.

Butcher is described as an area for students who want a challenge. While there are students at Fraser who give their all in their classes, Butcher students are more dedicated to their studies in a unique way.

“Butcher students are more motivated. It’s a lot more advanced, and you have to be more independent,” Bondy said.

When compared, it can be seen that Butcher is more challenging. This kind of information is helpful, but for those who study at a quicker pace. Not everyone can study at the same speed, many prefer to take their time and be able to view what they’re learning slowly. It mostly depends on how the students learn that makes the difference.

“I’m glad I’m attending Butcher because the way they teach prepares me for college in a way I understand,” Wolf said.