Our Blue Angel

Laurel Kraus, Co-Editor

photo
Photo Credit: Amy Weed

The airshow crowd scrambles with their cameras as the F/A-18 Hornet flies in from behind at a shocking 600 mph, startling everyone with its stealth-like approach. This incredible plane is part of the Navy’s pride flight demonstration squadron, The Blue Angels.

Stationed out of Pensacola, Florida, demonstration pilots 2-7 and more then 100 crew and support members are led by Commanding Officer Tom Frosch (pilot No. 1), codenamed Boss.

“I am so privileged and proud to represent the 500,000 men and women in the Navy Marine Corp,” Frosch commented.

Commander Frosch grew up in right here in Clinton Township, Michigan where the first seeds of his career were planted.

“My dad was in the German air force before he became an engineer in America, so when I was six years old he took me to the airshow at Selfridge Airbase,” Frosch reminisced. “I knew right then that flying planes was what I wanted to do.”

Although he had his goal in mind, he had no plan to get there. Looking back at his time attending our very own Fraser High School, Frosch confessed that he lacked the drive to apply himself to his education.

“There was nothing distinguishable about Tom Frosch in High School, but in flight school he really matured. I believe a person has to be extraordinary in order to fly those planes,” Said Al Kastl, Frosch’s 9th grade English teacher and football coach.

Fortunately, Commander Frosch discovered what was important before it was too late. He strongly encourages students to avoid making the same mistake that he did.

“It’s so important to set short and long term goals, and to have a plan on how to achieve them,” Frosch emphasized.

The one part of high school that Frosch did have going for him was football. In fact, he earned his way into The US Naval Academy on an athletic scholarship.

“Fraser provided such great opportunities for education, leadership, and sports,” Stated Frosch.

Despite the fact that Frosch had trouble applying himself, he seemed to always possess many valuable traits such as kindness and friendliness.

“I remember Tom always helping his parents and neighbors when they needed him,” Described Frosch’s previous neighbor, Linda Biondo. “He is very dedicated to his family and to his country.”

Commander Frosch carried these values with him when he went on to join The Blue Angels.

When The Blue Angels were formed in 1946, their initial objective was military recruitment. Today, they continue to recruit, but have also added promoting excellence to their mission statement.

“We want to encourage people to follow their dreams and to serve others,” Frosch expressed.

During airshow season, The Blue Angels travel through the country to a new community every week, bringing with them both their message and good family entertainment.

“My family and I just saw The Blue Angels fly this past Saturday at Selfridge Airbase,” Stated Linda Biondo’s daughter, Cara. “They were amazing! They did quite a few moves where they were only inches away from each other, and they made it look so simple and easy. It was a great show!”

Interestingly enough, having The Blue Angels at airshows is equally as thrilling for the pilots inside the planes.

“We get to travel around the country, yet my favorite part is getting to see how excited the kids are after the shows because that used to be me. Right now I am just proud to bring The Blue Angels back to my hometown,” Frosch remarked.

As to what Commander Frosch will go on to do once his time with The Blue Angels is up, we can only speculate. Nevertheless, he has earned the respect and gratitude not only of people from Fraser, but from all across the country. He has truly proven that no dream is out of reach.

“Someone has to fly The Blue Angels,” Kastl considered. “So why not a Fraser kid?”