The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Words Hurt

By: Ashley Derry, Flash Reporter

Ashely's Graph 2
Credit: Census.gov
Household Characteristics of Opposite Sex and Same-sex Couples

Hugging, holding hands, and small kisses are seen throughout the halls of Fraser High School as couples socialize before school and in between classes. The rest of the school and staff members simply go about their business and let these small acts of affection continue. That is, until they see something new in the Fra café one morning. A kiss was shared between two girls who are dating. The next day, one of the girls was called down to an assistant principal’s office on the grounds of hugging another girl. She was told that school is not the place to be hugging someone and that she should focus on academics. After being told about this event, as the other half of the aforementioned couple, I was greatly peeved. Many other couples, or friends who hug numerous times within a school day, have been scolded for this act.

The staff isn’t the problem, for students have begun to express their opinions. Many are either supportive or have no issue with same-sex couples; however, some students disagree with that way of living and have decided to firmly voice their unwanted and hurtful views. Even those interested in the same sex who aren’t in a relationship have experienced name calling, dirty looks, and rude gestures. There are even instances in other schools where violence is involved. Fraser isn’t alone; all schools deal with some sort of bullying, even if it’s small.

Change is coming, but not soon enough for those who need it. In order to stop this double standard and bullying in general, we need to take action. Being able to recognize when someone is being bullied is the first and easiest step.  According to the Student Code of Conduct, “Peer Harassment/Bullying is intimidation of others by acts such as, but not limited to the following: threatening or committing actual harm; unwelcome contact; verbal, written, or electronic taunting; racial slurs, blocking or impeding student movement.” There are many forms of bullying, but all of them need to be prevented. Once you have figured out what bullying is, the next step is to do something about it. Even though not everyone can or will want to speak up for them, a teacher or hall monitor will hopefully be nearby and end the situation. Stopping bullying when it happens is only half the battle, preventing that attitude and any thought of bullying is the hardest part.

Everyone can make a difference, from changing the way they think to standing up for others. Bullying and double standards like these should not be tolerated and students should feel comfortable being themselves in a place where they spend four years of their life. Hopefully, in the future many can put aside their prejudiced minded thoughts and become civil with each other.