The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Detroit Battle of the Bands

A collage of live rock music was heard throughout the Diesel Lounge inside of the Premier bowling center during the Detroit Battle of the Bands on January 4th. Bands played from four pm to midnight.
   Bright multi colored lights flashed down from the elevated stage in the dark lounge where a crowd of all ages gathered. Guitars and memorabilia of rock legends was spread across the walls.
   Skinny jeans, high top converse, and T- shirts sporting favorite music legends flooded the front near the stage. Young men and women crowded the platform with enthusiasm, clapping with occasional head banging and hair whipping. The bar and tables saw more adults between the ages of 25 and 50.
   Each band was given a half hour to prove their talent to the audience, who were also the judges. Some groups crammed many songs in their time while others interacted with the audience in between songs for a more laid back feeling.
   The majority of the bands consisted of young adults and teenagers covering rock music like Ozzy Osbourne and Green Day. The last three bands were the most popular: The Accident, If Walls Could Talk, and The Imps.
   The runner up of the competition was If Walls Could Talk, a group of friends from Fraser who perform original songs. The band received attention for a more alternative music approach which connects well with people of all ages. The lead singer used the stage actively, relating to each song. Each member showcased their talents by incorporated different rhythms and techniques in songs.  One member played a saxophone throughout one of the tracks.
   The winner of the battles was The Imps, an impressive girl band consisting if a drummer, bassist, and guitarists. The lead singer showcased her skills when she played her large drum set while singing a handful of original songs. All but one of the band members used their vocal talents and proved to the audience what they could do.
   The top three bands will be performing again in the second round of Battle of the Bands in March to compete for the top spot and prizes.