Fraser High School’s NHS Canned Food Drive

Kymora Jones, Flash Staff Reporter

NHS received approximately 6,000 items which is double the amount of last year. The canned food drive, 2019-2020, was a massive success!

Fraser High School had a canned food drive around thanksgiving break where NHS collected non-perishable food items for Fraser good fellows and the Fraser High School pantry.

Fraser students were asked to bring as many items as possible, and the top three classes with the most food, would be given a trophy and prize.

Mr. Dalida’s 1stblock Science class wins first place with about 1800 items. Ms. Zary’s English class makes runner-up with about 800 goods. Ms. Fredlund’s Spanish class came in third with about 600 food items.

“I donate food because I understand from a family situation what it’s like to be without food and how donating really helps others in need,” freshman Molly McMillen said.

Being a part of NHS helps students highlight different skills and characteristics. They volunteer for many charitable organizations to help the Fraser community.

“NHS is a national organization that promotes 4 things. Those four things are Leadership, Scholarship, Service, and Character,” NHS supervisor Mrs. Tieman said.

If students want to join NHS, look for an application at the end of sophomore year. To be involved, Juniors and Seniors are required to have a 3.25 grade point average or higher.

Participants will get community service hours and active members get an honor cord at their senior graduation.

NHS has more fun events to look forward to including Cocoa and Cram, a dog shelter visit, and visiting seniors in the community.

Mrs. Tieman advises people who want to join, to do so as early as possible because it is very important.