The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Catching Fire Review

catching fire   The 22nd of November 2013 marked the USA release of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Directed by Francis Lawrence (I am Legend) and based off of the book series by Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire is the continuation of the first movie, The Hunger Games.

The audience first finds the main character Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) hunting in the woods outside District 12 with her childhood friend and possible romantic interest, Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth).

Things quickly accelerate in this fast paced movie and we soon find Katniss with her other love interest and fellow tribute from The Hunger Games, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) as they journey through the events of their Victory Tour.

Victory is short lived as a new nightmare begins, introducing two new main characters. The rebellious Johanna Mason (Jena Malone), and the charming Finnick Odair (Sam Claflin).

President Snow (Donald Sutherland) is once again determined to destroy Katniss and everything she cares for and given that this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games, it is the 3rd quarter quell, which is when the tributes are picked from the existing pool of victors.

This action/adventure is 146 minutes long and PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some frightening images, thematic elements, a suggestive situation, and language.

Catching Fire is truly an astounding movie. With fantastic special effects and a few jump scares, it is guaranteed to keep your heart racing.

The acting, for the most part, is phenomenal, completely pulling the audience into the absurd world of The Games and then proceeding to make it entirely believable.

Almost immediately after The Hunger Game: Catching Fire was released, it became the #1 movie in the world. It is, in my opinion, an A+ movie that I definitely recommend.