The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

God’s Not Dead the Movie

GNDAvatar
Movie Poster
Credit: Godsnotdeadthemovie.com

God’s Not Dead sprang into the box office shyly on March 21, showing in a mere 780 theaters in the US; however, the movie surprised the film industry when it gained $2.8 million dollars the first day of its premiere, earning a spot in the top five films of the weekend.

The movie begins when tenacious Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) fights his infuriating battle against God by teaching his freshman college philosophy class that greatness stems from atheism. When students are instructed to sign a paper stating “God is dead,” Christian Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper) refutes the assignment. Radisson then challenges him to give three lectures to persuade the class otherwise.

The heart of the film comes from the controversial yet courageous debates between Wheaton and Radisson. God’s Not Dead brings to light the striking uncertainties with scientific and philosophical questions, facts, and theories with brilliance and entertainment.

The story then connects several other characters played by actors such as David A.R White, Trisha LaFache, Cory Oliver, and Dean Cain. Special appearances in film include Willi and Kori Robertson and the Christian musical group Newsboys.

Each character faces differing challenges, yet following an identical dramatic structure.  Identifying with most Christian films, God’s Not Dead brings strong emotion as the characters reach their climax simultaneously. Because each story has a clear exposition and rising action, I became empathetic towards several of the characters, which in turn left my heart heavily beating and eyes slightly watering.

The movie is based on real life situation, some of which from Michigan, and focuses on concepts and situations that everyone face, wading in the waters of pain, suffering, faith, and doubt.

Though I found some aspects of the movie a little overworked, only few pieces of the film felt preachy. At the same time, little of the Biblical citations could have been chopped while others added value and explanation to scenes in the film. Aside from the unnecessary, unexpected ending, I believe the film held a firm grip on the reality of the situations each character.

Overall, the low budget movie succeeds most at portraying an inspirational message of fighting for what one believes. I praise producers for bringing up questions that most believers dare not to ask. It’s not only a story about God and Christianity, it is a story about standing up for your beliefs and having the freedom to choose what you follow.

The film is now expanding to more than 1,000 theaters. Visit Godsnotdeadthemovie.com to find a theater near you.

To view the trailer, click here:  http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mqf5gAYcFWs?rel=0&autoplay=1