The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Motor City Rockers Rock Their Way to Victory

The+Motor+City+Rockers+mascot+on+the+ice+before+the+game.+
Kourtney Cifka
The Motor City Rockers mascot on the ice before the game.

Cheers of over 2000 roared six times as the Motor City Rockers kept getting the puck to the back of the net on April 13th at their last regular season game. The Rockers competed against the Port Huron Prowlers, their esteemed rivals, winning 6-2. Supported by local fans, a team worked together to play a game they all love.

The energy of the arena was unmatched every time the Rockers scored. The players are well aware of the fans and have an incredible sense of pride when it comes to the support they have gained. Multiple players had fantastic things to say about how the fans impacted their game.

“We want to be home with our fans. Obviously, having 2,200 in this crowd today definitely helps,” #88, Scott Coash, said. “Hearing all the people screaming, cheering. It definitely helped our confidence.”

#94, Nick Gullo also had nothing but positive thoughts on the fans of the Rockers.

Fans celebrating after the 6-2 win.

“The fans here, it’s a crazy group of fans. The players feed off of it, we love to play here,” Gullo said.

When it came to the topic of scoring, the Rockers did a good job this game. 6 different goals scored by 6 different people, proving the diversity of talent throughout the team. The 6 goals in order where made by #21, Avery Smith, #67, TJ Delaney, #88, Scott Coash, #96, Declan Conway, #17, TJ Sneath, and #57, Tristan Wells.

#67, TJ Delaney discussed how it felt when he personally scored the 2nd goal of the game, 7 minutes into the 2nd.

“It feels really good, you kinda black out a little bit when you score. You get really excited,” Delaney said.

Now, even before this game, the Rockers had clinched a spot in the playoffs. After interviewing the players post-win, everyone seemed to have the same goal.

“Win the whole thing,” Coash said.

Delaney gave a more specific approach on how to achieve their goal of winning.

“As long as we get a hot start and we play good defensively we should go a long way,” Delaney said.

Throughout the game, anyone could see the teamwork flow throughout the players game. They worked together to clinch their 18th win against the Prowlers. And once again, the fans were just incredible. Everyone, for both teams, was insatiably enthusiastic. The energy and volume in the arena made it feel like a NHL game. It was an empowering experience to see a local team succeed in their sport. The bond between the team is apparent.

“We have a special group. A group that was striving for a championship,” Gullo said.

So far, since the last regular season game, the Rockers have won one round of the playoffs and are continuing to thrive on the ice.