The Younger Generation Steps Up

These+flyers+were+distributed+online+and+in+person+to+spread+awareness.+

Kristin Ledford

These flyers were distributed online and in person to spread awareness.

Olivia King, Editor

On December 24, 2016 tragedy struck the city of Fraser. A pipe running across 15-mile-road leaked, causing the dirt to wash away and the road to sink in, creating a major sinkhole.

Unfortunately, the sinkhole claimed several houses in the nearest neighborhoods. These families were forced to evacuate their homes with minimal belongings. A few days after the incident, a fourth grade student from Salk Elementary, Peyton Kalka, created a fundraiser for the families who lost their homes.

Peyton and her family are collecting bottles in three different locations around the area. 2295 Metro Parkway, Ste. 100, Sterling Heights (9 am-4:30 pm), Fraser Public Schools Maintenance Building 33499 Klein Road, Fraser, MI (7 am-3 pm), and Fraser City Department of Public Works, near the recycling: (586-353-1901) 31250 Kendall, Fraser MI. If anyone does not have the time or resources to make it to these locations but still want to donate, call (248-770-1608) 0r (248-321-4514) and Suzanne Kalka, Peyton’s mother, will send someone to pick up the bottles and take them to the appropriate location.

The fundraiser continues until January 31st. Please donate and help these families, it’s easy and will make a huge difference