The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Big Brother

The early years (5-13) are monumental in developing a child’s healthy exercise habits and general well-being throughout life. A child’s environment is a huge influence on them. Schools have the possibility to assist children towards positive paths, because on average a child spends 6.4 years in school from k-12. Teachers can be those role models to help their students, but sometimes a child would look up to a big brother or sister more than a teacher.

snowman
Snowman team posing in front of their recess creation.
front row – Derek Southers, Nicholas Gusmano
2nd Row: Donovan Davis, child cannot be pictured, Marcus Bowers, David Armstrong, Jimmy Shock, Gio Hernandez, Zach Novak
Third Row: Daylin Singletary, Ian Konot
Back Row: Luciano Quinci, Matt Rowan, Jeremiah Robinson, Tyler Trbovich

Mrs. Kelley, Title One Coordinator at Eisenhower Elementary, thought up a plan to give role models to her students. She contacted Mr. Threet, Varsity Football Coach and her Principal: after a few discussions, the Big Brother Program rolled into Eisenhower on four wheel drive.

“I started the Big Brother Program to allow for our young, growing boys to have a positive role model to look up to and learn from.  Creating a partnership with the Varsity players has allowed our students to create a bond, a friendship and learn about making good choices in school,” Kelley said.

Just like any new program you start, it gets easier as it continues. In the case of Big Brother Program, it was no different.

“When I first heard of it I didn’t know what to except, but when I first participated it was kinda new- having a kid look up to you- but I enjoyed it after I started to get what it was. It was great helping them out, showing them right from wrong, and helping them be a better person,” junior Marcus Bowers said, “The first day one or two times we were there, they were pretty quiet and kinda timid. But then last week they were out jumping on snow piles with us, making snowmen, and all smiles. You can see the big change.”

The program began last year during the October football season. From October till March, it ran; then, it picked back up in October of 2013. Throughout that time, both Football players and Eisenhower staff have seen a difference these Big Brothers are making.

“I’ve seen a positive influence in the boys after the Big Brother Program started,” Kelley said, “They make a weekly goal either based on behavior or academics, and all week they work towards that goal. So when the big brother’s come they can say ‘I did all my homework this week’ or ‘I was really respectful to my teacher this week’. And you can definitely see a change in their behavior and in their academic learning.”

For the young boys, telling their role model their accomplishments for the week is uplifting.

“I like spending time with my Big Brother.  He helps me with my homework and I miss him on the week he does not come,” said Ronnie Parks, a first grader.

After three days off, on a snowy afternoon recess, the boys went out with their brothers at recess and crafted the one thing any kid gets excited to make, a snowman the size of a small mountain.

“When we were making the snowman… I felt cold. The kids are pretty nice when you build a snowman: they lend you their gloves. Playing with all the kids, they’re a crazy bunch. It’s exciting, it takes you back and makes you want recess again,” said Bowers, “I’ve done it this year, last year, and I plan on doing it next year.”

The end result was a snowman the size of two vast Football players with tennis rackets for hands and gloves for eyes.

“I believed the program is a great thing to do for the kids: they really like being able to play with us older guys…,”said junior Jeremiah Robinson, “When we were building the snowman, I felt that it was a great thing to do I got all the kids involved, and it was even better seeing other kids that aren’t in the program helping out.”
The program, an overall success, will undoubtedly continue for years. It’s obvious of how the boys love and admire their Brothers, to the point of having a countdown calendar until their Brothers come back. To add in on the Big Brother’s success, the Big Sister program, including the Girls Varsity Volleyball team, will join the Big Brothers at Eisenhower.