The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Sleeping with Sirens

Sleeping with Sirens

Stumbling upon this rugged post-hardcore band, Sleeping with Sirens connects to the average angry teenager with the words of love, hate, and family. Kellin Quinn, Justin Hills, Gabe Barham, Jesse Lawson, and Jack Fowler make up the brooding band. Working together, the five band members came together to create bouncy, edgy music that many find enjoyable. The music tends to reach teens with lyrics that cut deep within their emotions. The lyrics from the song Trophy father’s trophy son “why are you walking away? Was it something I did? Did I make a mistake?-” are lyrics are just one out of the many examples that most teens relate to everyday of their lives. In today’s day in age, it’s not uncommon to find teens coming from broken homes or families.  With Quinn’s music, they seem to find the strength to overcome the struggles in life and keep moving forward.

“Feel,” the newest album by the five edgy revolutionists, consists of many frenzied songs. Some melodies are slow while others are upbeat and creating the desire to bounce and head bang to the beat. Easily relatable to anyone who chooses to listen, the lyrics again run deep.

Being older, Quinn relates his music to his newly made family with his wife Katelynn, two step sons Rowan and Liam, and his daughter Copeland. With his family in tow, he writes inspiring lyrics that lets all his fans know that life isn’t perfect, however he tries to make it the best he can out of his harsh situations.

“Free Now,” a song off the new album, speaks of Quinn’s family’s life growing up. Although harsh and broken, he made it through. He wrote lyrics like, “I wrote this song for my mother. She had to leave me, when I was younger. She said son, seek this life and keep an open mind” to express his fear as a new father. Now that he has a daughter, he wants to be a better parent than his were to him. Quinn speaks about his fears of relieving the mistakes his parents made with and to him are finally receding and he hopes to be the best father for his daughter Copeland. He wrote, “And we dream of the day, when our kids can play In the streets with no fear of them being taken away Fathers raise their sons with respect and love Handle anger and pain with no need for no guns If we hope to be free it takes you and me. To start over here and now. ‘Cause this world is, the way it is, it’s how we raise our kids.” In these lyrics Quinn talks about the kids in this day and age are the future of all the good and bad that will happen to the world, and that people, in his opinion, should raise them better, without fear, anger, or pain and with love and care.

Sleeping with Sirens is a band easily relatable to anyone who listens. To the problems that anyone can face, the passionate band has a song for, and those songs are what keep people listening and wanting more. With five albums altogether, the expressive have songs that inspire people to listen to their music. Even their acoustic version album of the most popular of their songs has many fans dying to hear more.