The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

An Emerging Artist

Credit: Frankie Gianetti Photography
Credit: Frankie Gianetti Photography

With a Crayola crayon squeezed in her fist, the young kindergartener practiced her skills in one of her many coloring books. Francesca Gianetti has always loved to color, draw, and make art.

“I’ve always wanted to be a sculptor, always, and I found out that I’m really bad at sculpture, awful. So, then I got a camera from my aunt in sixth grade and became really fascinated with it, and took that up.”

The first camera Gianetti received was a film camera. With help from family, Gianetti learned to use the new camera well.

“When I started getting better at the film, I asked for Christmas, like freshmen year, for a nice digital camera, and I got one. From learning the film I could learn everything about the digital pretty easily,” Gianetti said.

Immediately, Gianetti loved the camera and taking pictures of others.

Gianetti Credit: Gianetti family
Gianetti
Credit: Gianetti family

“I’d be like, ‘hey let’s take pictures,’ to my friends. You know, the typical Myspace and Facebook pictures.  I was like ‘These look like photography pictures,’” Gianetti said.

Transferring from Chippewa High School to FHS her sophomore year, Gianetti enrolled in her first photography class, which helped accelerate her skills and talent in art.

“I’ve had her in photography for three years. Between Mrs. Di Pace and myself, she has been in a variety of art classes, so she constantly flutters between the art department and the teachers in the art department,” FHS art teacher Roger Drabant said.

Teaming up with Gianetti is 18 year old Brandey Rudolph. Rudolph creates art piece using make-up and a model’s face as a blank canvas. She rats and exaggerates models’ hair to transform her into the perfect character to be photographed for a themed shoot.

“I’ve been interested in being a makeup artist since I was a little girl. I used to watch my sister put on her makeup and beg her to teach me. I was the one kid who had way too much makeup on when I was only in elementary school,” Rudolph said. “It ended up helping me in the long run though, because I’ve been practicing and studying it since I was so young.”

A mermaid themed shoot Credit: Frankie Gianetti Photography
A mermaid themed shoot
Credit: Gianetti Photography

Both Gianetti and Rudolph are able to relate to having a desire for art at a young age. Because of this, they are able to come together and create beautiful photographs with help from models. The photographs are featured on the Facebook page, Frankie Gianetti Photography.

“Everything about makeup is interesting to me. I like the way that I can transform someone’s elf- confidence with just even things like body painting and special effects,” Rudolph said. “I think Frankie and I work great together because we are both very creative and like similar things.”

Spending most of her school hours in the art department, Gianetti also enjoys drawing and painting and uses her artistic skills to create unique art pieces, which have been featured at several art shows at FHS and in the Anton Art Show in Mt. Clemens. She has also received a gold key for her work in the Scholastics art awards.

A skeloton themed shoot Credit: Frankie Gianetti Photography
A skeleton themed shoot
Credit: Frankie Gianetti Photography

“She has in a huge way found a way to show who she is through her work. She is always willing to take a chance, a risk, and more often than not, those risks turn out in a positive way,” Drabant said.

Gianetti has passion for music as well. Aside from open microphones at cafes, she has participated in the Fraser talent show and Fraser Idol. She is a talented vocalist, pianist, guitarist, and even plays the ukulele.

“My passion for music is and always will be a bit above my love for visual arts. Music can really hit home for me. Certain songs remind me of certain memories and certain people. Everyone in my family is a musician, so it’s kind of how we comfort each other and have that family time,” Gianetti said.

Containing the joy of singing and the ability to play instruments, Gianetti takes on song writing as well.

“I’ve never really considered myself a great singer. But, I enjoy it, and I find a way to make it fit the music I want to perform. Singing isn’t my strongest point, and I know that, so I try my best to write good lyrics that everyone can connect with,” Gianetti said. “I hope one day someone can really get into my music.”

The self- taught musician usually writes her own lyrics to songs; however, she doesn’t know chords or notes. She hopes to become either a music artist or music lyricist. Whether it be a photographer, drawer and painter, or a musician, Gianetti will surely succeed in whatever career path she pursues.

“She’s a wonderful human being. I think she has a lot of talent in a variety of areas,” Drabant said. “Unique, to sum it up in one word. She is comfy with the person she is and she’s not really worried about what other people perceive her to be, other than what she is.”