Fraser Singers Win Gold in Chicago

Fraser Singers drove down to Chicago and thrived in this year’s competition, winning Gold in Show Choir and Gold 2nd place in Chamber Choir. (Photo provided by Nicholas Charland)

Katrina Sanchez, Flash Staff Reporter

This past weekend, Fraser Singers drove down to Chicago and thrived in this year’s competition, winning Gold in Show Choir and Gold 2nd place in Chamber Choir. Additionally, the group won the sweepstakes for Choral Program as well as received an invitation to a Festival of Gold. Furthermore, seniors Brenna Darden and Grace Ziegenfelder were awarded two Maestro Awards for Outstanding Soloists, an award given to individuals who are chosen by adjudicators as superlative musicians.

Gradually throughout the year, as the group worked together, the members began to gel together as a family. Though it may not be evident at first, this connection was one factor that allowed Fraser Singers to prevail this past weekend.

I think the factors that allowed us to succeed in Chicago were our great teachers and the way our group acts as a family,” Grace Ziegenfelder said, one of the students who received a Maestro Award. “People are greatly influenced by many things, and our “thing” happens to be music. The connection we have with each other helped us conquer this past weekend.”

However, despite the relationship among the members, commitment also played an immense role in their success.

Being in Fraser Singers is like being in a sport,” Ziegenfelder said. “We start our show choir season in October and our competition isn’t until April (plus the spring concert), and we have Monday night rehearsals every week from 7:00-9:30PM. We have all put in so much effort into making sure that every song is perfected just the right: every step we take needs to be thought out and every word we sing needs to be heard/spoken clearly. Honestly, each individual has put lots of work and dedication into what we do, and I can say that every time we come out of each practice our tired faces and sweatiness show it all.”

Without 100% effort from each member, Fraser Singers would not have done as well as they did this weekend.

“I believe that it is very important for every member in the group to work hard and strive to do their best because it really impacts the group as a whole. Everyone needs to put in the work for the group to be fully successful. In show choir, if people aren’t up to par, judges can clearly spot them immediately. The most important thing is knowing that we did our absolute best,” Ziegenfelder said.

Leading up to the performance, jitteriness and excitement filled the scene, and butterflies filled the stomachs of many.

“The setting behind stage before our performance was very nerve racking.” Ziegenfelder said. “All of us were already nervous about what the judges would say, and we were praying that we would not mess up. There was also lots of excitement for being able to show the judges what we’ve been working on all year.”

Yet, by the time they stepped foot onto the stage, many of the Fraser Singers had a sense of joy while performing.

“It was pretty nerve wracking because it was my first performance,” sophomore Hannah Brannon said, “but once we got onto the stage it all went away.”

Evidently, performing is something the members all enjoy and have always enjoyed.

“Performing on stage is something I have personally come to grow and love. Being on stage makes me a better person in the sense that it brings out the person I have always wanted to be. I feel huge waves of confidence and happiness engulf me as I perform. Whenever I start to perform all of my nerves go away, and I put all of my focus and skill into my performance. Being in the Performing Arts has given me relief. It is my gateway to a better day, and I don’t have to think about what else is going on,” Ziegenfelder said.

By the end of it all, the long Monday nights of rehearsal and the immense dedication were worth it as the Fraser Singers were triumphant in this year’s competition.