College Around the Corner

Photo by: Emily Herbert

Student proudly showing off his University of Michigan shirt to all of his classmates.

Emily Herbert, Flash Staff Reporter

Seniors have a lot on their plate at this time of the year. Exams are coming very soon, their grades must be kept up, and must make decisions about college. Graduated from high school is a big step for any young adult then going to college and picking the right one is a major life choice that all must come and decide. College is a big step where teens gain some independence from their parents, and it will lead them towards their desired career.

Although not all seniors are sure about where they want to go after high school.
“…I’m not exactly sure where I want to go to college but there’s a few options that I applied to,” One of Fraser’s 2016 Valedictorians, Ashley Cotey stated.

Ashley is not the only senior who is unsure about where they want to go, so some seniors are going to go to Macomb Community College for their first two years to get their general classes out of the way, which will allow them more time to decide and transfer to a university.

Teachers were not lying freshmen year when they said that every grade counts; transcripts must be sent to universities and colleges during the application process that showing every grade from the first semester of freshmen year. Transcripts are one of the determining factors that colleges look at for an acceptance letter, being deferred, or being declined. Of course, the more prestigious the school, the harder it is to be accepted such as University of Michigan or Michigan State University. Their application fees are more expensive and require personal essays about how a student will add diversity in their university.

College has become more and more expensive each year and out of state universities are even more costly because the potential students are not residents and do not pay the state taxes. Private universities costs much more than public universities and colleges. Most of the seniors plan to get as many scholarships as possible, apply for financial aid, and apply for student loans to pay off college. One of the worrying factors about college is the financial budgeting that is involved. Some seniors can not afford to go to their dream college due to financial expenses. Although the counseling office does provide scholarship information and applications. An interesting scholarship Fraser provides is going to a certain elementary school within the Fraser school district such as Salk Elementary. The counseling office also helps students decide which college is best for them by inviting university admission advisors from throughout the state such as Western Michigan University, University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan, and many more.

There are many different factors that affect a senior’s choice in picking a university. For instance, Brendan Kelley, who was the only student last year to score a perfect 36 on the ACT last year can have many college opportunities ahead of him.

“I was accepted at U of M, Ohio State, and Wayne. I was deferred at University of Chicago, and I’m waiting on Northwestern University,” Brendan said.

It is very smart to apply to several colleges in case there is a “Deferred” or “We regret to inform you…” waiting in the mailbox. Although it is very exciting to be accepted into several colleges that is when the decision becomes difficult and only the student can decide because their friends and family are not going to that particular college.

There are a few seniors in Fraser that have not even applied to college because they are so unsure. There are some deadlines that are still open until February 1st, but that date is closing very soon. All seniors during the second semester must keep up their grades to send their final transcript in and put a deposit down so they can attend orientation and have a place at their choice of a university. Seniors are not going to be in high school much longer. Soon it will be time to go their separate ways and earn a degree that will lead them towards their future.