Tars Trample Fraser

Devon Schwarze-Hemelberg

Anchor Bay celebrating their 39-0 victory over the Fraser Ramblers. 9/25/15.

Devon Schwarze-Hemelberg, Flash Sports Reporter

September 25th marked the 5th game of the season for the Fraser Ramblers Varsity Football team. It also marked the 5th loss for the team and new coach Jon Skladanowksi. Anchor Bay captured their 3rd win of the year by shutting out Fraser, 39-0.

Both teams came out of the gate slow until late in the 1st quarter when Anchor Bay scored on a 35-yard run. After the first score, the Tars were off and running. They would score 3 more touchdowns in the 2nd quarter and come into half with a 27-0 lead against a struggling Fraser team.

It didn’t get better for the Ramblers during the 2nd half as sophomore quarterback Ian Casey fumbled twice and threw an interception to Anchor Bay’s Ryan Murphy. Before the end of the 3rd quarter, he was replaced by back up quarterback Josh Strader.

The offense would do a little better under Strader, but they were still unable to get on the board. The team was shutout for the 2nd time in 3 games. Since scoring 31 points in their first game, they’ve managed to only score 30 points combined in the last 4 games.

Anchor Bay quarterback Jordan Irwin lead the team in touchdowns on the night. He scored twice on the ground with touchdown runs of 35 and 25 yards. He threw a touchdown of 22-yards to senior Kyle Kessler. Later in the game, he threw a beautiful ball across the middle to Gabe Studer who did most of the work after the catch, breaking tackles on his way to a 61-yard touchdown.

Anchor Bay scored two other touchdowns on the ground in the 4th quarter: a 1-yard run by Colin Owings, and an 18-yard run by Drew Johnson.

Anchor Bay (3-2) faces L’Anse Creuse North (2-3) next week at home.

Fraser (0-5) travels to rival school Roseville (2-3) next week.