Devon’s Sports Watch

Devon Schwarze-Hemelberg, Flash Sports Reporter

Last week was a rough one for most of Fraser’s sports teams as almost all lost their respective matches/games. This week we will talk about Fraser football’s game last Friday, how the soccer team faired in their 3 games, and who sits atop the MAC Blue in football.

1. Stevenson Annihilates Fraser

September 18, 2015 marked the 4th game of the year for Fraser football and it also marked the 4th loss of the season. The team was already an underdog coming into the game at home and they proved why Stevenson was so heavily favorited in this contest. The team came out flat footed and looked like they wanted no part of the Titans. The team would have a first half to forget as they were down 45-0 heading into the locker room. It didn’t get much better after that as they gave up another 14 points to many 2nd and 3rd stringers in the second half. The Ramblers would not score until the final second of the game when they scored on a run to the outside. Game Over. Stevenson would win 59-6 on the road and showed everyone why they are still one of the most explosive teams in the county. This Fraser team has yet to improve much since week 1 and will continue to play horrendous football until changes are made at O-line, D-line, and in the secondary. If this team continues to play the way they have all season, we could be looking at a winless season for the Ramblers.

2. Fraser Soccer Has Rough Week

Each year the Fraser soccer team is given pretty high expectations by their coach, school, and the community. They had lived up to those expectations all year until last Monday when they took on a Chippewa Valley team they should’ve beat with ease. Instead they ended up receiving their first loss of the year. The Big Reds only needed 1 goal to beat the Ramblers last Monday at home. Games like these are supposed to be the ones you win. They followed up that loss with a tie to Sterling Heights Stevenson, a game they should’ve won as well. They were losing for most of the game until the Ramblers’ Connor Piccolo scored with under 5 minutes left in the game. Fraser would end up beating U of D Jesuit Friday afternoon 3-0 at home. Their #3 state ranking will likely drop them outside the top #5 after a tie and a loss to teams they should’ve beaten. Slow starts like the ones that occurred Monday and Wednesday will not help Fraser come Districts. Starting slow isn’t something a top team does and if play continues like that, we could see Fraser getting bounced early in Districts.

3. Fraser Tennis Wins Meet

Fraser boys’ tennis faced Lakeview Wednesday afternoon at home. They won the meet by a score of 6-2 and took home another win for the school. The team was led by junior Adam Culliver, Fraser’s top singles player, who won his 4th divisional match of the year. He’s undefeated in MAC Blue play as well as Fraser’s Brett Fistler. The Ramblers won their top 2 singles games and swept the doubles play. Doubles play was led by Jordan Bell & Blair Gariepy who defeated Lakeview’s Cody Ball & Paul Williard by scores of 6-1,6-0. The tennis team should be one of coach Gregory Dalida’s best teams since he took over coaching boys’ tennis.

4. Fraser Girls’ Golf is Rolling

Last Wednesday the girls’ golf team had a great team performance as the team all shot well enough to win both contests vs Utica and Romeo High School. Fraser was led by senior Katie Smith, who shot a 40 (+4) and a 43 (+7) on the day. Fraser’s Gabby Anderson added a 39 (+3) and 46 (+10) for the Lady Ramblers who are now 5-2 on the year. They improved to 4-2 in the MAC White after wins of 193-222 against Utica and a 201-221 win verse Romeo.

5. Sterling Heights Stallions Sit Atop MAC Blue

After back to back 1-8 seasons, the Stallions are finally on their way. They’re now 4-0 after a 47-6 win against Lamphere Friday night. They have been led all year by Quarterback Jacob Cyccone, who rushed for 80 yards in Friday night’s trouncing of the Lamphere Rams. Sterling Heights was able to hold the Rams under 100 yards in total offense. This is the first time in a few years the Stallions have had a respectable defense. The Stallions have already matched their best season in the last 5 years by winning Friday. They finished 4-5 three years ago, but have been mediocre before that year as well as after. This team is 2 wins away from a  playoff spot right now as they sit alone atop the MAC Blue. If you had asked anyone a month ago who would win the division, Sterling Heights would have probably been the last team you would have heard, but now they are 1st in the MAC Blue. They have 3 straight non conference games against Henry Ford, Marine City, and Marysville. If they can go 2-1, they will automatically qualify for the playoffs with 6 wins and should be able to rest their starters a little bit for the final 2 games. Sterling Heights should be able to win 2 of their next 5 games and continue to surprise everyone.