The year 2015

Tylah Fortson, Editor/writer

The year 2015 has become a pivotal point in our history. Racial tensions are on high, people are rallying, marching, and demanding change everywhere around the world, ISIS has become a national, acknowledgeable threat to the country, Ebola has become a national scare, and natural causes have become the center point for severe suffering in Nepal.

Yet, those topics of discussion are not being held within the walls of this beloved high school. No one seems to care that so much tragedy and change is going on in the world. The disconnect is fierce.

In some tragic cases, a lot of people don’t even know that half or any of the things mentioned are happening. The biggest question is, how does one not know such things when they are dominating the news coverages and are happening all around them? Are Fraser teens just tuning the world out? Or should the teachers and parent’s be blamed for not having these discussions? Is there a disconnect because no one is seeing anything right outside their windows?

If that is the reason then people should know, fire spreads.

Heidi Dowe, A twelfth grader here at Fraser, agrees that there is a disconnect, a lack of care for the hardships others face; a lack of empathy for those people and the issues dominating the world.

She said, “I think it is easy to disconnect from these issues because we don’t live in the places where inequality is at an extreme. It’s also easier for students to do this so then they can have less stress and worry.”

Basically, in Heidi’s opinion, student’s would rather ignore the issues then deal with them head on. Does everyone understand that we are the ones who are next to be making all the big decisions of this world?

Heidi also stated in their defense that, “There are some topics, like the upcoming presidential election, that is being spoken about among students, but not for long periods of time.”

According to Heidi, the issues that the world is dealing with are, “controversial topics” which is very true. She brings in the understanding that those discussions could “cause a lot of disputes amongst friends.”

While that is understandable in some cases, as young adults everyone should be capable of having civil debates. Regardless, everyone should at least know of the recent events that are occurring.

Tenth grader Jayla Irvin said, “My friends and I haven’t had any conversations about [any current events]. I don’t know why we haven’t had a conversation about any of it. Maybe because we have other things going through out minds at the moment and we kind of push it to the side.”

Irvin admits that the priority conversation amongst her friends is not that of anything news lining. In that case, the question should be why not?

Marina Ghatas, also a twelfth grader at Fraser believes that, “Most kids are just more ignorant than others.”

That means the information hasn’t been brought to them. Who should be blamed for their ignorance? Should they, themselves be blamed? The parents? Fraser administration? How about every one of them.

Some may wonder why is this topic relevent? Why should anyone care whether or not Fraser students are aware or care about amy current events?

The answer is simple, as the future of this nation and this world, everyone should be aware of it’s current state. The blind leading the blind will get no one anywhere.