FCCLA State Leadership Conference Results

Angel Bacol, Flash Reporter

On April 16 and 17, members of Fraser’s FCCLA attended to compete at the State Conference in Midland. The group received 5 gold medals, 3 silver medals, and 1 bronze medal. The categories they competed in were: Promote and Publicize FCCLA, Entrepreneurship, Nutrition and Wellness, Life Event Planning, Focus on Children, and Career Investigation.

Eleven people won the gold medals: Becky Carson, Danielle Wernette, Madison Winbigler, Sherin Soukanaki, Mackayla Shippy, Alexis Belfiori, Alyssa Flanagan, Kai Martin, Shelby Kaczor, Emma Nicholson, and Jessica Helfrich.

Those who won a gold medal are eligible to attend the National Conference in July in Washington D.C.

“There are a total of 7 Fraser FCCLA members who will be attending. We are currently fundraising to lower the cost of the trip,” Jessica Helfrich said when being discussed on who will be attending the National Conference.

Five people won the silver medals: Alyssa Harris, Carol Ann Hergenroeder, Amber Jackson, Allison Shields, and Sarah Sobolewski. Haylee Shore was FCCLA’s only bronze medalist.

During the February FCCLA meeting, the students were given a packet in advance that gave information on each categories, and those going had to choose which one they wanted to participate in.

“I love children, so I figured I’d be really comfortable doing a project in that field. I also thought it was really cool that I was helping out children in need. I felt like if I worked in Focus on Children category I’d be able to actually show how my project affected others,” Alyssa Harris said.

“The category that I competed in was career investigation,” said Helfrich, “I had to research a career that I was interested in pursuing. I chose to research Occupational Therapy. I prepared a portfolio that I used for my presentation. I learned much about the career from the actual experience and found out that occupational therapy is the career for me. I practiced my presentation before competing and was successful.”

The 14-15 Fraser FCCLA had increased the numbers of members they had throughout the year, earning them the “Gimme 5 Chapter” award, and their involvement in national programs (career connection, families first, and community service) earned them the “5 Star Chapter” award.

Senior Rebecca Carson finished serving as an FCCLA State Officer this year and was received the Family and Consumer Science Educators of Michigan scholarship. Next year, junior Jessica Helfrich will become an FCCLA State Officer for the 15-16 Chapter.

When finding out that she would become a state officer, Jessica replied with, “I was very excited! I have never had an opportunity like that before, so I was eager to begin my experience. I know it will be a tremendous responsibility, but I can’t wait!”

“I’m actually very happy Jessica decided to apply to be a state officer because it is the best leadership opportunity I have ever been offered. I actually asked her if she was interested because it would be amazing to continue having the presence of a state officer at Fraser high school. You learn so much on the state level and I can’t wait to continue to see Fraser grow with FCCLA,” Becky Carson said.

An amazing year for the 14-15 Fraser FCCLA chapter! Congratulations to everyone who participated and good luck to those who will be attending the National Conference in July!