The Band Room and the Easter Hunt

Amy Weed, Co-Editor

Those small plastic spheres that kids race to find on Easter are loved by the children who hunt them. As children grow, parents often quit the act of hiding Easter eggs and opt for outright candy or none at all. Though for senior Tyler Bowers and junior Justin Logan, they brought that childhood excitement to the band room.

The eggs are barely seen on top of the soundboard from below.
Katie Jensen

Bowers and Logan bought a large pack of 96 plastic Easter eggs and hid them in and around the band room for their friends and band members to find. They were in lockers, chairs, bookshelves, and hidden around corners. Some of the eggs were even filled with pennies!

“A couple had around twenty pennies, mainly cause we had way to many pennies,” Logan said.

The toughest egg to get was a purple one, perched on the top of the sound board, which was approximately fifteen feet off the ground. Justin Logan had tossed the egg up there accidentally.

When the next class, Symphony Band, began, students were turned in their seats as they watched Logan and Bowers attempt to knock the egg down from its perch by throwing more eggs at it. Although Logan and Bowers were not able to knock it down, Bowers was able to give the egg a new, yellow friend.

Robert Lindsay on top of Kyle Logan's shoulders, successfully knocking the two eggs down.
Katie Jensen
Robert Lindsay on top of Kyle Logan’s shoulders, successfully knocking the two eggs down.

It was not until Robert Lindsay climbed on Kyle Logan’s shoulders with the Tuba Spirit Stick that the two eggs were dislodged. The class cheered and laughed when the egg plopped on the floor.

All was well in the band room once more; until, another student pointed out another egg perched atop the sound board above the back practice room. Logan lumbered to the second egg with Lindsay on his shoulders.

Robert Lindsay trying unsuccessfully to knock the third egg down.
Katie Jensen
Zach Birko took up the suspended symbol holder and knocked the eggs down in one go.

Students were calling out advice; everyone seemed drawn into the event. But try as Lindsay might, he could not see the egg to knock it off.

Then Zach Birko told Robert to get down, and that he would try with David Stawinski, who was taller than Kyle Logan. Birko took the Tuba Spirit Stick and Stawinski lifted him up. Despite the extra height, Birko was having the same difficulty of knocking the egg down, because the egg seemed to be cradled into the niche of the sound board and the wall. It was not until Birko was given a suspended symbol holder, which was bent at the end, that he finally dislodged to the cheers of his classmates.

Payton Deschutter ended up with roughly twenty pennies and even more eggs; she had a beaming grin on her face, as did everyone, including Mr. Rodgers and Mrs. Heizentroy and Fiedler.

“Everybody went psycho over it.” Seinor Kyle Logan said. “Pennies! Pennies everywhere!”

It might seem silly for anyone but children to be excited about hunting for plastic eggs, but there is a child in everyone; the Easter egg hunt brought that child out of the band family.Katie Jensen