Uno Dos Trio

Laurel Kraus, Co-Editor

Trio App Icon
Trio App Icon

Imagine a new app that, with just a few clicks of a button, can mix GIFs, Vines, and countless other media into collages while adding them to music. It can easily create short videos of anything imaginable and upload them to share with the world in less than five minutes. Fortunately, Trio, an app that does just this, now exists.

Misha Leybovich, the architect behind this app, originally went to school to be an astronaut, but is now the CEO of his own company, Meograph Inc. Leybovich graduated from college in 2005 and since then has traveled to more than 70 countries gathering media and looking for interesting and fun ways to use it. After experimenting for seven years, together he and partner Clay Garrett created this revolutionary app that could rival Instagram.

“Trio is a new form of creativity,” Leybovich expressed. “Some forms of creativity are just you (such as drawing), others are just you and your friends (such as messaging), but ours is you, your friends, and the world.”

Just like Facebook replaced MySpace, It has been said that Trio has the potential to be the next Instagram. So what is Trio exactly? Essentially, it gives consumers a new capability that they could not do before; the ability to take other people’s content of every possible embodiment and turn it into new material. It is the same idea as galleries on Pinterest and articles on Tumblr; however, this is the first time it has existed in video form.

“The reality is that people are not having awesome adventures all the time,” Leybovich explained. “Trio gives people the ability to create something cool without having to do awesome things all the time.”

In the future, Leybovich’s company, Meograph Inc., plans to make content from even more sites (such as YouTube) available for Trio users. Ultimately they want to be the place for all kinds of media to come together. Through this dream, Trio provides an option where creating a mash-up could become a new form of expression.

“A lot of Trios are very funky or quirky,” Leybovich remarked. “But many others can also be really beautiful, expressive, and emotional.”

Some students have remarked that perhaps Trio is not as original as Leybovich believes, and that many of its operations can already be performed through others apps; however, Trio truly does take media collaboration to a new level. This app is completely about mixing others creations with ones own in every way possible, and on top of that is Leybovich’s philosophy: Have as few buttons as possible in order to allow users minimal effort.

“If you like to make serious full-blown original videos then there certainly are apps that are better,” Leybovich admitted. “However they take a lot more time and effort. Currently Trio is the best and newest option available.”

Trio was released on March 4th and can now be downloaded for free in the iTunes App Store.

User feedback is encouraged and can be sent to [email protected]