Student of the Year: Industrial Tech.

Amy Weed, Co-Editor

Wam! Wam! Wam!

The sound of the hammer hitting the nail radiates through the garage as tiny hands hit a nail into a piece of wood. It was nothing more than a coatrack, but it was Nick Rowan’s first project that he made with his grandfather.

Since making that coatrack, Rowan has built up to reversed engineering a hydraulic Ford jack. Rowan was also named Student of the Year for Industrial

Mr. Brasure and Nick Rowan, Student of the Year, smile for the camera after Rowan accepted the award.
Courtesy of Nick Rowan

Technology.

“I was surprised a little bit when I found out I was student of the year, but I did what I was told to do in class, executing, using my time wisely. While other kids were on their cell phones I was welding or drawing or cutting wood.”

Since taking woodshop in seventh grade and CAD in eight, Rowan had been engrossed in the classes.

“I had Mrs. Naggy, and she kinda pushed me into it so to say –like threw me in without my water wings or anything,” Rowan said with a laugh.

Rowan is planning to attend Oakland University in the fall for mechanical engineering to become either a robotics engineer, or a design engineer with a mechanical engineering degree. Perhaps in the future, Rowan will craft something truly amazing.