Fraser HOSA Triumphs at District Four Regionals

Amy Weed, Co-Editor

This past month, Fraser’s HOSA members won big. Of those who participated, there are six conference finalists: Niko Drozbowski; Rachel Griffith; Giavanna Accarado; Sydney Balch; Marina Ghatas; Becky Carson and Julia Bernier, who made the top ten for district four. They will continue on and compete for the HOSA State Competition in Traverse City in April 16-17.

HOSA's member gathered for a group picture after the regional compeittion.
HOSA’s member gathered for a group picture after the regional competition. Photo courtesy of HOSA.

There were also three Gold Medalists: Savannah Fraser; Allie Edenstrom; Audrey Williams. Also four Silver Medaists: Emily Soley; Katelyn Mullins, Hope Schope, and Katie Nowicki.

The students started preparing back in September when they picked the topic he/she would speak on.

“We had to pick what we wanted to do back in September or October; I chose persuasive speaking,” Marina Ghatas said. “So I researched that certain topic, which was should certain vaccines be a choice up to the parents or up to the CDC, which controls and takes care of vaccination. I researched that, I got reliable resources that I quoted and stated in my paper. I also had to prepare a speech based on what I researched, and I had to talk about it in less than four minutes.”

Several schools came to Fraser –the testing site for District four. There was a mix of nervousness and a serious undertone all around.

“I was nervous; I was flippin’ out the day of,” senior Giavanna Accarado said. “Especially because my test was the last one to be taken, so while everybody was done with their test and relaxing, I was sitting around waiting until I finally took mine.”

For the six students, this nervous feeling will continue on to State. The students will have to continually study for the next month.

“I actually spent my day off yesterday studying, if that helps at all,” senior

Senior Rachel Griffith(right) and Marina Ghatas(left) take a selfie February 7th at Regionals.
Senior Rachel Griffith(right) and Marina Ghatas(left) take a selfie February 7th at Regionals. Photo Credit: Marina Ghatas

Rachel Griffith said.

The competition is not without its benefits. While one might feel rushed, it can actually sharpen focus.

“I felt that I was being put under a lot of pressure –only because you want to do good. I wanted everything to be perfect, but in a way that pressure is good and it helps you be focused on what you’re there to do,” Ghatas said.

Congratulations to those who competed, and good luck at State.