Vapor Trails of Trouble

A bottle of Cloud9

Officer Lisa Pettyes

A bottle of Cloud9

Amy Weed, Co-Editor

A new way of smoking has received a heavy following for its seemingly “safe”, “legal” status and “non addicting” usage: Electronic Cigarettes. What people in the Fraser community may not know is that since February 2014, there have been four FHS students who have been hospitalized from ingesting Cloud9, the synthetic drug commonly used with electronic cigarettes, directly by dropping the drug onto the tongue or smoking it on the electronic-cigarette. Since April, 2014, poison control has documented 23 young people hospitalized in the tri-county area.

E-cigarettes (electronic cigarettes) are considered, by some, to be a supposedly safe substitute for real cigarettes. Some people think there are less harmful chemicals in the e-cig.

Those rumors of ‘lesser amount of harmful chemicals’ are bogus.

According to Stay Safe Series (SSS) brochure, the devices contain nicotine, an addictive chemical that makes smoking the e-cigarette difficult to quit, and they give off a greater amount of smoke. Using the e-cigarettes also puts the user at risk for nicotine poisoning by the substance leaking onto the user’s face or into the mouth. E-cigarettes can be used to vaporize other harmful, synthetic drugs as well, such as: ear wax and Cloud 9.

Nationwide, SSS reported the statistic of 1.78 million students who admitted to using e-cigarettes. That’s more people than twenty Ford Field Stadiums can hold! Then there’s the reality that 1.78 million are only the ones who have admitted to doing so.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, advertising for e-cigarettes is reaching teens and children with frightening success owing to its different colors and flavors: blue to pink, and sex on the beach to sweet mint. Almost like the kiddie bag one got at a dentist visit with choice of colorful toothbrush and flavor of toothpaste.

Earlier this year, the synthetic drug, AB Pinaca, was being sold in gas stations and smoke shops to minors. Because of the response of children and teenagers to the synthetic drug, Fraser Public Service Director George Rouhib announced that Fraser would consider an ordinance that will ban the sale of e-cigarettes, and other synthetic drugs such as Cloud9, also sold under the name Relax and Clown, to people under the age of 18. The ban is similar to the ban on tobacco to people under 18. This step forward to restricting its use will hopefully also influence the surrounding counties to follow suit.   Effective November 1, 2014, the ordinance makes it illegal for anyone under the age of 18 years old to purchase or possess Electronic cigarettes and/or Electronic Vaporizers.  If students under 18 are caught with electronic cigarettes will be criminally charged as well as school consequences.

“Macomb Officials passed an “Emergency Order to Prevent Imminent Danger to Health or Lives” which is pursuant the Public Health Code 33.2451,” said Officer Pettyes, “The order was implemented to secure the safety of our community.  The substance that has been identified in Cloud 9 is actually a “synthetic drug” that is called AB-Pinaca.”

This Macomb County action is higher up on the chain than Fraser, so Fraser can utilize the ordinance through the health department. Wayne’s order refortifies the Public Act 183 of 2012 ban involving synthetic drug K2.

“I have first-hand knowledge of the four students that have been hospitalized.  Their identities will remain confidential,” said Officar Pettyes, “I had one 14 y/o student whose Mom actually bought the E-cig for her because she wanted to make smoke rings with the vapor.  That is a fact.  When I contacted the Mom, she didn’t think it was a big deal because her daughter wasn’t smoking an actual cigarette. Our body, our lungs, our brains are not meant to put chemicals into them.”

Complete knowledge of AB-Pinaca’s effects on the body is still unknown.

“AB Pinaca is a synthetic cannabinoid (synthetic marijuana/drug) that’s chemical compound is not listed in the controlled substance act (which would make it illegal).  Like K-2, it legally got on the market but after it was discovered to be dangerous to health it was evaluated and eventually added to the law,” said Officer Pettyes, “Currently, many community leaders and law enforcement agencies are working on trying to get a more specific law that will blanket any and all substances that are created as a synthetic drug.  This will take time.”

Even just once, the effects of this lethal drug can land the owner/user in jail with hefty fines. One could become addicted and start experimenting with other synthetic drugs using the e-cigarette as the smoking device.

One puff is one to many.