The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

A Head Start on College

Addelia walking on campus to one of her classes.

College is a very important step in life that just about everyone is striving to reach. Here at Fraser, students are offered to enroll in an Early College program to prepare them for college and more responsibilities. Senior Maria Addelia is one of those students preparing herself for college. During her junior year she applied to take a Compass test at Macomb College to see if she would be ready to be placed in the college classes. She scored high enough and was let into the program.
“The Early College program is a program that allows eligible high school students to get a head start on their associates’ degree for free. The program is funded by the MISD (Macomb Intermediate School District). They pay for our classes and our required books,” Addelia said.
Getting a head start on college is an opportunity that some schools don’t offer. Along with getting prepared for college there are requirements that really get students in the mindset of being a college student.
“Part of the requirements of the program is that you must keep your grades at a C or higher in both high school and college, you have to complete the yearly required job shadowing, and you have to attend a mandatory class for the early college kids called, “Seminar” that teaches us leadership skills,” Addelia said.
Gaining a lot of responsibly during high school is useful to prepare students for adulthood. Some students think this is an escape from high school and that they’ll be able to leave school early (for fun). However, this program isn’t designed for too much freedom because there’s still work to be done.
“I have a total of 3 college classes and the seminar class that’s considered a high school elective. On Mondays and Wednesday I have class from 12:30-6:00PM. On Tuesday I have class from 11:30-1:00. On Thursday I have class from 11:30AM-1:00PM and 4:00-6:00PM,” Addelia said.
College isn’t a joke: there’s always something to do. Even some other students in the program say it’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it.

“This program is allowing me to make better decisions about my time and how I manage it. It’s also allowing me to meet other people with the same goals as me,” senior Charise Johnson said.

Addelia takes chemistry, mythology, and stress management, and gets plenty of homework to keep it fresh in her mind. This program is very useful to Addelia because it helps give students (including her) a head start on schooling and it’s a big financial help as well.
“My life has gotten a lot busier. I have much less free time and as a result I don’t have much time to be with my friends. I also had to quit the swim team for lack of time; however, my life has changed for the better as well. I’m more driven towards my career path as a pharmacist,” Addelia said.
Life is a journey where people will discover who they are and what they want to do. Addelia has figured out who she wants to be and is working towards her profession.
“My expectation for college is to finish my Associate of Science at Macomb a year after high school. Then I plan to transfer to a pharmaceutical school and get a degree for pharmacy,” Addelia said.
Maria Addelia is an intelligent young lady who is striving towards her life goals. It doesn’t matter if you’re not on the same level as her, or even if you are, all it matters is that you be patient, hard working, and excited when achieving your goals.