The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

Miss Murder

The band Miss Murder featuring from left to right is Emila Quinn, Sam Steel, Alex Monk, and Callum Hurst

Being no younger than 15, the band members of Miss Murder are reaching and straining to reach the goal of being a successful band. Emila Quinn, Callum Hurst, Alex Monk, and Sam Steel are the young and inspired musicians, in the United Kingdom that have worked hard to live the dream of being in a band.

“Emila writes most of the music with her being the lead vocalist and all, plus we’re lazy,” Hurst laughed, “Seriously though, it’s all a joint effort, we all write and figure out our own parts. In the end, it’ll all come together and be our new song” Hurst said.

With music indescribable to someone first hearing it, they tend to bounce around genres. With a solid set of punk rock they mix heavy and brooding with bouncy and virtuosic. This, to a first time listener would be highly confusing and give conflicted feelings about their sound.

“We’re loud, rural, youthful, impulsive, lucky, and Emila is pretty much filled with angst so, we’ll say angsty,” Monk said.

With passion and music practically running through their veins, they strive and work hard to record and play as much as they can. Only playing small gigs, the young revolutionists endeavor on their journey to really be a well known band.

“Emila is serious, mature, and definitely looking long term for the band” both Monk and Hurst said about their lead vocalist.

Beginning at a young age, music was very prominent for the four young instrumentalists. Emila, the only girl in the band and the lead vocalist, has the most experience when it comes to music. Playing at a young age, Emila has always had a talent for music.

“Emila’s parents are the type of people that if she wants to go for something will do everything in their power to help her reach her goal,” Monk mentions.

Starting with piano, Emila has surely advanced in her music ability when moving onto her singing. With a solo career, she was even lucky enough to be able to record a solo album in Canada when she 12 years old.

“My guitar instructor said I was never going to be a guitarist, and this was after my parents had just bought me a brand new acoustic guitar, so I quit the lessons and started teaching myself,” Alex said.

Growing up on Duran Duran, he never really knew what other type of music was until the band got together a few months back. He started playing guitar in Year five, so around 10 or 11, and is now the bassist for Miss Murder.

“Alex is your typical bassist, cool, and doesn’t really do much on stage,” Hurst said about his best mate.

Always being in tuned with the music, Callum grew up on the punk style with his father also being in a long term band for fun. Teaching himself around the age 10 to play guitar, and fulfilling his dream to be in a successful band.

“Callum is like a classic guitarist does most of the talking and is usually the only one running around on stage and getting the people fired up about the music,” Monk said.

Being the drummer is awfully quiet and reserved. Steel is described as crazy on stage and is usually in the zone when playing.

“Sam is one hell of a little drummer,” Hurst said.

With no other way to explain him as quite, he’s also the group’s comedic relief when he does speak to them. Playing drums since he was six years old, he is definitely a great addition to the band. With talents that don’t go unnoticed, the other band members are all delighted to have him in the band.

Indeed their band has come far within the seven months of being together. With recording sessions and pub gigs, they all consider themselves lucky to be together.  With only being 15 and 16, they tend to not even get paid. However, to them, this isn’t for money; it’s for the experience of being in a band and playing to have fun.

“Like anyone, we argue, but we love each other like siblings and wouldn’t change that for the world,” Hurst said.

With getting more than a couple hundred likes on Facebook, and slowly getting more populated, they hope that their band will start to expand to different parts of the United Kingdom.

“I just can’t over how far we’ve come in such a short time amount of time, it’s definitely surreal,” Hurst said.

The music is discordant with the soft voice of Quinn, the ear-shattering beats from Steel, along with the pulsating notes from the bassist Monk, and the primal noise that emits itself for the strings of Hurst’s guitar. However, when listening to it, you will find yourself humming along to the easy to follow beats and in no time will find yourself knowing the lyrics and singing along.