The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

“Thor: The Dark World” Movie Review

Thor The Dark World

Thor: The Dark World sets stage on an ashen alien planet called the Dark World where grisly Dark Elves and the Asgard Kingdom battle to take control of a powerful red presence, the Aether. The Asgardians capture the Aether and hide it from the Elf leader Malekith (Christopher Eccelston). Thousands of years go by as Malekith is lying in wait, biding his time to retaliate. In post-Avengers present day, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), Thor’s (Chris Hemsworth) romantic interest, accidentally becomes injected with the Aether. Gaining the attention of Thor, the Asgardians, and the Dark Elves, Thor brings Jane to Asgard in an attempt to protect her, unleashing war within his home from the invading Dark Elves led by Malekith.

During the time of the unleashing wars, the nine realms of the universe are aligning, making the passing between the realms simple and uncomplicated. The Dark Elves no longer hesitate in their plan for revenge. Aiming to use the Aether for world domination, sending it spiraling into darkness, Malekith brings his battle to earth. The only person who can help Thor stop the Dark Elves is Thor’s traitorous brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Begrudgingly, Thor teams up with his treasonable brother to save the Marvel universe, putting aside their hate-filled past, bringing together the brother’s mighty forces for the ultimate battle of power.

Director Alan Taylor brings to life a whole new side of Thor. Grueling battles, explosive worlds, and powerful forces create a thrilling experience for all. Twisting the fabric of reality, Thor’s ease between worlds is crisp and effortless, making the transition of scene to scene believable and easy to handle. Though at times the movie becomes slightly chaotic, the plot itself is kept constant, never veering far from the point.

Within all the dazzling effects, exotic scenes, and the switch between worlds, everything ultimately comes down to the relationship between Thor and his brother Loki. Though they hate each other, the brother’s quest for vengeance takes precedence over all. Living with the lack of trust, the fight against evil pushes them to their limits, showing just what they’re capable of.

After two years of anticipation, Thor: The Dark World did not disappoint. Whether you’re a fan of Marvel’s Thor or not, Thor: The Dark World is a movie you can’t afford to miss!