The student news site of Fraser High School

The Flash

The Flash

The Flash

SWAG for Sailors

SWAG for SailorsSwag for Sailors

By: Laurel Kraus

This year Fraser High student counsel organized a possible new tradition with the homecoming fundraiser, Swag for Sailors.

“It’s a tradition that Ms. Witt and I plan on continuing and hopefully growing and expanding while we’re advisers,” student council representative Ms. Engardio said.

The students were asked to bring in charity goods to send to the American Sailors overseas. Necessities such as toothbrushes and soap were accepted as well as yoyos and other fun items. The class who gave the most was given extra points towards homecoming week.  

“The sophomores won. They had almost 600,” Engardio said.

The student counsel representatives were delighted with the selfless way FHS responded so well to helping our military.  

“Thank you to the students and class sponsors for embracing the charity and being superheroes for our true heroes, the people out there fighting for America,” Engardio said.

Mr. Burns, the CTE coordinator at FHS was in the U.S Army for eight years and he went overseas multiple times. He said that receiving care packages are especially special because they are something that connects the soldier back to his/her home. 

“I’m so proud of Fraser for doing this. The service that it does for those sailors is incredible,” Burns said.

The fundraiser was extremely successful in collecting more than 1000 items for the care packages that are now being sent to the Navy ships, The USS Truman and The USS Boxer.

“The organization we were helping was able to double their original goal,” student counsel rep. Ms. Witt said.

Fraser High will hopefully continue working with charities in the future to help more deserving people out in the world.