The Armed Forces Plaque: A Labor of Love

Photo Credit: Andrea Lanham

The Armed Forces Plaque lies between the Where Are They Now? and Fraser Pride Displays on the 1100 side of the building.

Andrea Lanham, Flash Staff Reporter

Walking from the media center to the cafe, there are various photos and display cases on the walls, but a very special plaque lies amongst all of these. The plaque is a tribute to graduates of Fraser High School — both men and women — who have served to ensure America’s freedom.

The Armed Forces Plaque for Fraser Alumni is now full, with 200 names on it. Between $2,500 and $3,000 for a new plaque will have to be raised to keep this ‘labor of love’ going.

The plaque came from the Class of 2011 leftover funds. After fundraising for prom, graduation, and other senior activities they decided to purchase a plaque to honor those who served in the Armed Forces.  

“I feel like it’s my job to maintain it on their behalf. It’s a labor of love. I enjoy making their wishes come true,” Class of 2011 Sponsor and German teacher Mrs. Fryia said.

The oldest graduate on the plaque is from 1940. The criteria for being included on the plaque are that they graduated from Fraser and completed boot camp. Rank isn’t listed.

Photo Credit: Andrea Lanham
The plaque reads “In Honor of Fraser Alumni who have served in the Armed Forces.”

“It’s not about the rank they achieved, but their service and sacrifice,” Fryia said.

A few veterans on the plaque were killed in action. Remaining veterans who live outside the state and country have come back to see their name on the plaque and take great pride in it.

“My family is very thankful to the class of 2011 and Ms. Fryia for remembering our students who have served and are currently serving our country. We have a lot of respect for our service men and women, but when Grant joined and was stationed in Guam, it gave us a whole new perspective of the sacrifice these men and women along with their families are making. This is a perfect way of letting them know just how proud of them we are,” mother of alumni Grant Oltman, Jill Oltman said.

Fraser staff members also take pride in the plaque.

“I stop and look at the plaque often and I try to find names that I know. It always makes me smile when I see one of those names… there is a certain bond between those of us who have served because we know what each other have gone through,” Fraser head custodian Mr. Hogan said.

Members of 4As are selling Carson’s Community Day coupon books for $5 for the weekend of February 23rd to the 25th. The school receives 100% of the profit.

“We have received several generous donations in addition to profit from coupon book sales,” Fryia said.