Rings Movie Review

Samantha Nork, Team Broadcast, Flash Reporter

15 years after the first installment of The Ring franchise, director F. Javier Gutiérrez brings audiences Rings. This is the third movie in the series following 2005’s The Ring Two.

The franchise centers around a VHS tape with disturbing images along with a girl being tossed into a well. The girl in the well, who is named Samara, is out for revenge. Whoever finds this tape is plagued with a curse, which kills you seven days after watching it. Being set in a time where the internet and cell phones are widely popular, the film takes things differently when Samara’s video goes digital.

Photo Credit: Paramount Pictures

In the new film, the VHS tape is found at a vintage garage sale by college professor Gabriel (Johnny Galecki). He proceeds to watch the tape and gets a phone call notifying him that he has seven days left to live. He becomes obsessed with the video and begins to focus all his research on it, even involving some of his students. He discovers that the only way to lift the curse is to have someone else watch the tape before your time is up. You no longer will die, but now the person that watched after you has the curse, unless they find someone and so on. This is when college students Holt (Alex Roe) and Julia (Matilda Lutz) become entrapped in Samara’s deadly game. Gabriel promises Holt that the video won’t kill him because he has found him someone to take the curse off. Rather than waiting for that person, his girlfriend Julia watches the video and gets a strange braille mark on her hand in the process.

Photo credit: Quantrell Colbert

Rings carries the same concept of the first film, but adds some twists and turns before the credits start rolling. To keep things interesting, Gutiérrez shows us disturbing and gruesome shots of Samara crawling through flat screen TVs, laptops and even cell phones. The video is also different every time Julia watches it, which makes the audience wonder why she is so important to Samara’s plot. This is a film that is truly terrifying. Though it’s slightly different from the the first films, fans of the franchise will be excited to see the infamous killing video (as well as plenty of jump scares) on the big screen once again.