Golden Tate: A golden career on and off the field

Aron Geml, Flash Sports Reporter

It’s April 22nd , 2010 and it’s time for the National Football Leagues annual college draft for all of the 32 teams to find out which young man is going to make their team a Super Bowl contender. It’s the begining of the second round and a young man out of the university of Norte Dame is hoping to hear his name called. Then with the 60th overall, selection in the NFL the draft the Seattle Seahawks selected a man who would help Seattle win their first Super Bowl, and is trying to do so with his current team the Detroit Lions and that man is wide receiver Golden Tate

Before Golden Tate was a Seattle Seahawk he was actually drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2007 amateur draft. Tate did not sign with Arizona so instead he played baseball for the University of Norte Dame. In the first year he played for the Fighting Irish he played in eighteen  games and had a batting average of .262 as a freshman. In his sophomore year he had finished with a batting average of .329 and played in fifty-five games. He also scored forty-five runs in that year which is third by any Norte Dame baseball player. Then on June 9th, 2010, he was drafted in the 50th round which was 1518 overall by the San Francisco Giants but yet again Tate didn’t sign with the team.

After his fantastic college football career, the Seahawks drafted Tate, it took him a little bit to get going in Seattle by not scoring a touchdown until his second year in the league in 2011. After a disappointing 2012 season which the Seahawks fell to a record of 4-12. Tate and the entire city of Seattle was hoping for a rebound season and they sure got it. Seattle finished the regular season with a 13-3 record to reach Super Bowl XLVIII and their opponent was the AFC champion and high powered offense of the Denver Broncos led by five time NFL MVP Peyton Manning. That Super Bowl turned out to be one of the biggest blow outs in Super Bowl history. Seattle crushed Denver 43-8 and Golden had a great game helping the team to their first Super Bowl in franchise history.

In 2014, Golden Tate signed a five year, $31,000,000 deal with the Detroit Lions. In his first season wearing the honolulu blue and sliver, he set a career high in receptions, with ninety- nine an receiving yards with 1,331. With those stats Tate was elected to the 2015 Pro Bowl which was his first and so far his only appearance. The 2015 season was a up and down season for Lions. They started out winning one out their first eight games of the season. In the second half of the season the team won six out of their last eight making their final record of 7-9 and Tate put up good numbers throughout the 2015 campaign.  In the 2016 the Lions had a very good season. Tate had very great games in wins against the New Orleans Saints with 145 yards and a touchdown and he had similar stats against the L.A Rams with 165 yards and a touchdown. The Lions would finish the year with 10-6 record making the wildcard round in the playoffs. Sadly the Lions lost to Tate’s former team the Seattle Seahawks 26-6.

Off the field Golden does a lot of things to give back to his community. His charity The Golden Future Foundation, helps all veterans and their families to have a bright future in society after they return from war. This past fall, Fraser teamed up with The Golden Future Foundation and held quite a successful coat drive.