Students Steal the Show at Solo Ensemble on Saturday

Olivia King

The annual Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association District 16 Solo and Ensemble Festival gathered at Rochester High School on Saturday. Fifty-eight events participated. Forty-five events revived a First Division or Superior rating and Eleven events revived a Second Division or Excellent rating.

Concert band at their holiday performance in December 2015
Sieloff Studios

These students spent a ton of time practicing and preparing after making the choice to perform.

“The students register for Solo & Ensemble at the end of October-early November. Then we try to help them find music that is suitable for performance, and meets the performance guidelines. Many students also study privately with a teacher to help them prepare the music outside of the classroom. We offer help during seminars and after school as well,” Fraser
High School Band Director and Instrumental Music Department Head James Rodgers said.

Getting a First and Second Division rating is a huge honor for these students and the students that were rewarded First Division will be preforming at State Solo and Ensemble Festival, March 19th, at Chippewa Valley High School.

“It was very stressful, especially with a bunch of other people also practicing in the room with you. It didn’t help listening to the other people because they sounded really good so I was getting more nervous thinking that I wasn’t prepared enough… After I performed I felt pretty confident. You can almost tell what you got because if you did bad the judge would critique you,” First Division Flute Player Angelina Baglio said.