A Student Teaching Experience

Angel Bacol, Editor-in-Chief

For seniors, some already know what they want to do in life while others don’t. For those who already have an idea on their future profession, they want to gain some experience, they could shadowing or volunteer within the area of their interested field like at a hospital. For those interested in education, they could do student teaching, and Fraser High School can provide that for their students.

Shelbie Shoupe is a senior who just spent her first semester student teaching a Biology class with Mr. Haxer.

“I was asked by Mr. Haxer if I would be interested in helping out with some of his classes and around the room.” said Shelbie Shoupe, “I have been thinking about going into some form of teaching and I like to help out, so I thought it would be a good way to get used to it.”

With having this kind of experience, Shelbie’s able to gain an insight on what it’s like to be a teacher, there are benefits for being able to get a head start from others who want to go into the field of education.

“It’s always nice to make connections with new people, especially freshmen who are new and may need someone. It’s nice to know what it takes to be a teacher as well.” Shoupe said.

Student teaching is something interesting. It’s a fun way to help teachers out as well as to see if teaching is something that students want to go into after high school.

“I like the feeling of giving back and helping out when I was needed and it was nice to get to know the kids. I can see how teachers miss their students because some may be frustrating, but I really loved teaching.” Shoupe said.

Shelbie isn’t the only one at Fraser who has experienced student teacher, and it doesn’t have to be from one field of education. Whether it is an English class or Science, it is something that people who are interested in teaching should ask their teachers about. Take advantage and gain some experience!